Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Top 5 Road Films

It would be impossible for me to compile a comprehensive list of road films, and I’m sure there are several websites out there that have done it anyway. But I have to discuss them on here because it's my favorite genre, and many of them have inspired me to hit the open road.

In my opinion, a true road film contains the following elements: a character or characters must leave one destination (usually their home) for another, and find themselves somehow changed or evolved through the process. Generally the person has a physical destination in mind, but unbeknownst to them, they are on a spiritual or emotional journey, such as self-awareness, redemption, forgiveness or closure. The road is a 'test', and the protagonist's evolution by movie's end ensures their success, whether they live or die.

It was really hard for me to narrow it down, but here are my Top 5 Road Films:

5. Transamerica



4. Finding Nemo



3. Thelma and Louise



2. The Straight Story



1. The Wizard of Oz



Honorable Mention: Fandango
(Any discussion of road films must start and end with the movie that inspired my own cross-country road trip, ‘Fandango’)



1 comment:

  1. I love this whole idea...good stuff TOOT B
    You have to consider these in your top 5 or maybe top ten
    OVER THE TOP..ha...he was defin. traveling
    ROADHOUSE....classic but he moved does that count
    The only movie to give me nightmares for weeks cuz I was so young...How could you forget
    TERRY FOX one leg from atlantic ocean to Pacific ocea
    Then for shits and giggles
    EASY RIDERS
    Desert Heat (Van DAMN)

    ReplyDelete