Thursday, September 30, 2010

Top 5 Road Books

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."  - Saint Augustine

Nothing inspires me to travel more than a great story about the road. Continuing my "Top 5" series, here are my Top 5 Road Books:

5. Oh, the Places You'll Go!

This was given to me as a high school graduation gift from Mrs. Suellen Graney. It's a surefire confidence builder that never fails to inspire.









Appropriately, I read this for the first time while living in San Francisco. I had a temp job with Wells Fargo where my only duty was to answer the rollover calls from a VP's phone and transfer them back into his voicemail. He got about 3 calls a day, and the rest of the time I read books and plotted my cross country road trip. 







Don't let the Brad Pitt movie dissuade you from reading this book. The escape from an internment camp and the subsequent physical, emotional and spiritual journey of Heinrich Harrer is incredible.









This book accompanied me on the train rides around Europe. I would literally burst out laughing and receive weird stares from the people around me, but it didn't matter, because I had the answer. 42. 'Nuff said.









My favorite book and the greatest road trip of all time. I dare anyone to top The Merry Pranksters and their acid-induced 'trip' on the "Further" bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment