Sunday, September 12, 2010

Postcards & Journals - The Original Travel Blog

Just unearthed from my parents’ basement is a bag containing my travel journals from the 1999 road trip across America (a.k.a. “Fandango”) I took with my best friend Kate, and from the summer of 2000 solo backpacking trip (still yet-to-be- named) I took around Europe. I have no idea if there's anything good in there – but I’m definitely excited to read them now, with the added perspective of time. Will they have aged like a fine wine or depreciated like an Italian lire? I’m about to find out.

One cool little surprise (Self Doubt: There's that word "cool" again) was just opening the front cover to my Fandango journal to find the names, addresses and phone numbers of all the family and friends that I wanted to keep in touch with along the way.

Do you remember when you used to have to write down phone numbers? Do you remember actually calling people to talk? Do you remember taking down people's addresses?
Do you remember hand writing anything longer than a sentence? Do you remember what it was like to get something hand written in the mail?

I remember when 1999 sounded like “the future” and yet now it seems quaint and old-fashioned. Sure we had email and the Internet, but we didn't live our lives online. Today I don't really call anyone other than my Mom. I certainly couldn't tell you anyone's phone number. Letter writing? Forget it. In fact, if you're not one of my Facebook friends, we probably barely talk at all. Email's a pain in the ass. I'd much rather just "like" something. Talk about minimal effort! Is this really what we've become?

Yep, things are better now all right. It's so easy. Travel's a cinch - just take your iPhone and you'll never get lost. You can Facebook friend everyone you meet along the way, and check-in to all the sites on Foursquare. Upload your photos and share your experience with everyone in real-time. There's no need to write a letter, but also no need to tell a story when you return. Because the sad thing is, by the time you get back, it's already old news.

Now, I'm not a total luddite, but putting my hands on these actual artifacts from my trips has me a bit sentimental for a time when you could experience something very personally and then share it interpersonally. Not to the whole world, not to a generic "Facebook feed" of former friends, random acquaintances and coworkers who may or may not even see it. But face-to-face or ear-to-ear.

What I wouldn't give to dial 305-386-3113 just one more time. That's my Grandma's phone number. Some things you never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment