Sunday, October 10, 2010

Which is Rich?

I had been traveling solo through China for almost a week and had barely spoken to anyone due to the language barrier. I was beginning to feel very isolated and alone. As I was sitting by myself in a park in Guilin, a man walked by and gave me the most cheerful "hello" in a British accent. He completely surprised me! We had a wonderful conversation that must have lasted an hour. The part I remember most is when he asked me where I was from, and I said The United States. He responded, "Oh, a very rich country!" That surprised me too. I was just a backpacker, living with 3 other roommates in an old, run down flat in San Francisco. I hardly considered myself rich. But his comment, and other experiences I had on that trip, made me realize that compared to much of the world, I am rich. It really humbled me to think that I was born into resources and opportunities that so many people on this earth don't have. I told myself I should never take my circumstances for granted again. I can't say that has always been the case, but I have never forgotten this man or the lesson he gave me. The thing is, I believe he is truly rich. Every once in a while I think of him and wonder how he is. I hope he's still smiling!


No comments:

Post a Comment