Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mt. Fuji Miracle

In April 2004, I spent some time traveling in Japan — visiting Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo, and Nikko. It was an incredible trip, but as I sat on the plane departing Tokyo, I couldn't help feeling disappointed that I didn't manage to see Mt. Fuji. I realized I had missed an opportunity, and wondered if I would ever make it back to Japan again to see it. As the plane took off, the reality set in - it was over, I didn't see it, and there was nothing I could do about it. The best I could tell myself is that it just wasn't meant to be.

I leaned back in my seat, put my headphones on and closed my eyes. After we were in the air for a little while I just happened to glance out the window - and couldn't believe what I saw. We were flying right past Mt. Fuji! It's beautiful snow-capped peak was breaking right through the clouds, and I had a direct view of it, clear as day. My jaw practically hit the floor. I fumbled for my camera, managed to snap a quick photo, and just sat there and stared at it in amazement until it moved out of sight.

This is the luckiest photo I have ever taken in my life. I didn't do anything special other than have a loaded camera with me, zoom and snap. Sometimes the scenery really does do all the work.

Fortunately for me I was on the right side of the plane (technically, the left) and looked out the window at just the right moment to see it. And the way the clouds broke to reveal the mountain as we passed, well, I couldn't help but feel that Mt. Fuji was winking at me.

Note: I chose this picture to be the cover of the 2011 Calendar to Cure Sanfilippo. Here's wishing for a cure for Jonah Wood Weishaar and all the Sanfilippo kids.

3 comments:

  1. That's a perfect story Tootsie, so much of our story has been about being in the right place at the right time. Getting a new doctor that made the call, having to switch MRI locations to a NYU who caught the disease, being in NY in the first place and able to get all this press and of course being surrounded by brilliant, creative and supportive people like you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly incredible shot! I would have never guessed in a million years that that was taken from a plane. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered two of the calendars and received them almost immediately! They're beautiful, and it's an important cause to support. Gorgeous shots on every page.

    ReplyDelete